Saturday, August 30, 2008

Joyce Saenz Harris

JOYCE SAENZ HARRIS (jesharris@sent.com)

For the record, I was a senior writer in Lifestyles and the only DMN reporter on the food beat. I had been at the DMN more than 25 years, and despite being 54 and thus presumably vulnerable, this was completely unexpected.

The first couple of days have been undeniably tough. I'm doing OK now, though. My husband's still there and, thanks to him, I have some space and time to decide what to do next. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy our two young grand children, cook a lot, work on my novel that's been unfinished for five years, and read a lot of good books. After more than 31 years in the newspaper business, most of it at the DMN, I plan to enjoy this extended downtime.

And I certainly will not miss the ongoing stress at the office, although I will miss [almost] all the people there. My husband and I met at the newspaper, and I've had many wonderful experiences working at the DMN, including 10 years on the High Profile staff in the 1990s, and the past four years on the food beat.

I'm just glad I was there for the glory years.

Best.

2 comments:

Christie said...

I'm so glad you were there too for those glory days and I'll miss your writing. Hope you can really enjoy some leisure before embarking on your next journey. Keep us posted.
Christie G.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Christie. I've just begun posting on Alexandria, a writers' blog that invited me to join them. My first post is, of course, about getting fired... and some election-related thoughts are likely coming later today.
Here's the link...
http://aleksandreia.wordpress.com/category/authors/jesharris/